Monday, August 27, 2007

We Went Camping!

Im not always that fond of leaving my comfy house and doing a tonne more work than usual just to sleep on the ground and eat with the bugs. But despite changing forecasts and Scott being hung up this weekend umpiring, the Girls and I joined Grammy for some camping.
Down near Grammy's home, my grandparents and a few aunts and uncles were camping, and we spent Saturday night there as well. We packed up a tonne of stuff and the Girls and I headed off Saturday morning at freaking near dawn, dragging bikes and a wet tent off to the campground.

We met Grammy at the campground rather than going straight to the campground, not great planning on my part LOL cause we ended up in Sweltering New Minas at high noon rather than at a nice cool camp site. We did a little shopping for some food and essentials before heading off to the camp site.

We set up the tents first, because mine was wet and once you get things settled it is far easier to actually have fun. My tent was really dry very fast, almost before we had Grammy's set up we put some bags and stuff in it, and set out to check out the camp ground.

The kids thought all this tent setting was very exciting but were so hot by this time, they really wanted to swim.

Across the "street" were Nanny and Grampy P with their camper, and uncle Norman and Aunt Betty with their camper. They were playing Washers which the kids are fascinated with. Lots of games that family plays, I remember when we would go camping like this all over the place when We were the kids, they would play loads of games in the evenings, Lawn Darts was very popular. So was Croquet.

So into the pool the kids go! It was 30 C with Humidex by this time, and the pool looked so nice and cool...

They love to swim very much!

Annika loves to jump in and swim around!

She has a lot more freedom when we remember her life jacket.

There was a little kiddie pool where the kids could sit and float a little, it was very cute!

The camp ground has theme weekends, and the weekend the Carnival was in town. The kids got to buy tickets and go to the Carnival! LOL!

we walked down with Aunt Betty and Cousin Adrian. He's a very pleasant little fellow! :)

The cooking game involved throwing food into a pot ;)

Annika got her corn in. The games are designed to WIN after all..

They got some Balloon Animals to play with!

The Frisbees were meant to knock over the Pylons...

Annika I dont think had ever thrown a frisbee

The Ball in a Bucket game was really not too hard...
Both Girls got the ball in on the first throw :)

Back to the camp sites for always tastes best cooked outside and eaten with the flies ;) and there were plenty of bees!

We all got together to eat, it is nice to have meals together and my grandparents do do it well, they have the most perfect set up ever!

Right after dinner the kids ran to catch the Hay Ride through the woods. They had so much fun on it! and I was thinking OMG I just put my kids on back of some Truck and send them off with dozens of strangers...but there was not room for me and I didnt want to go anyway...they DID have fun.

Then we went over to the Playground by the entrance! :) There was this extremely cool piece of equipment there that I just had to watch them playing on!

They had a great time figuring out how to climb it!

Holly made it to the top, the little monkey!

Taylor wasnt quite as Monkey, she got hung up on one side :)

They rode this strange horse thing that only an adult managed to push, not so interesting that way!

Top of the slide!

They love the slide, it was a big old thing and they had to lift their feet

To slide all the way to the bottom!

I think the camp fire is still the part everyone looks forward to the most! :) I asked the kids and they all thought it was the best.

We all get chairs and gather around the fire, moving in and out as we get hot and cold! It was SO SO hot that night, no one needed sweaters or blankets or anything.

Little Adrian didnt like the fire very much, He cried. he might have been tired, hard to say :)

Grampy enjoying the fire :)

Soon after 11 we all went to bed. It was SO hot!

The next morning Taylor got up and started making noise at 630. She was sleeping with Grammy. I had Annika and Holly with me. we were comfy. All night we could hear the neightbor's air conditioner coming on and off and on and off. ANnoying.
The dogs were yappy and there were a tonne of dogs in that camp ground lol.
And Holly and Annika slept til 815. It was very nice.

Breakfast outside is always entertaining. we gave the kids yogurt and cereal then we broke out the stove to make Cappucino and boil eggs. And we got the stovetop toaster, and made some toast while the kids were at the playground.


This is the stereo, I was tired of listening to neighbors and crickets. The Valley radio Station leaves something to be desired!

Packing up the Camp Site...started very early.

Across the road, Nanny with l'il Adrian.

I took the kids over for one more swim, they were hot and it looked good. They were cranky and whiney cause we didnt go on the Bouncy Mountain, it was just too much IMO.

But they had a nice swim before we had to cram into the car and go. It was again, HOT. And Humid.

Sometime around the packing up, Grammy got sick and spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon either in the bathrooms or under this tree where there was a speck of shade. It was not pretty. I diagnosed the FLU based on having it all the next day. Thanks!

THANKFULLY Uncle Eric, and Nanny and Grampy helped me pack up the 2 tents and all the gear. Pity Grammy for having to unpack that crammed car tho :(:(:( I was tucking stuff into spaces that they likely didnt fit into, she packs enough for 18 people to camp for 14 nights....yes it came in handy when I wanted cooler clothing, but MAN it was hard to pack back into the car again.

The CRV all packed up and waiting to be driven away :)
Trent and Vicky came to get Grammy and take her home, while Nanny P fed the Girls and I. She had the nicest little set up in her Food tent, and she took orders from all the kids on the sandwich they wanted and offered desserts and was a nice relief after getting those cars packed up. Nanny always feeds us particularly well...where I would be happy with a slice of bread and peanut butter, she doesnt let anyone go hungry. Nanny's are Great :)

After we ate and said goodbye, we went out to Grammy's to check on her and unpack some of the cold stuff from her car. She was feeling better out of the hot sun and with a little medication, and she was getting up and around for a bit.

the kids had a swim in her pool while I was doing a few things for her.

They prefer to use the ladder as a jumping board. :)

Playing Fishy in the Ocean and Annika had to Swim Free.
And she did swim free.

Taylor was tossing Annika around in the water. She was happy about that.

We left soon and headed for home, where Scott was at the Yuills waiting for a dinner together. we went straight there and played in the barn before making and eating supper.
It was a super long day.


Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a super weekend!! Great pics too. Hope your Grammy is doing better.

AliP said...

So let me get this straight.....
I was in NS for 6 weeks and not once did you come camping with me??!! I'm gone less than two weeks and you go camping ??! OY! Oh there will be words little lady......... >:o(

Scrappytbear said...

It was somewhat of a spur of the moment thing. Not at all planned. etc etc etc